About St. John's College
Annapolis Campus Tour
Charles Carroll (the Barrister) House (1720-23)
During the Revolution there were at least four Charles Carrolls who were active on the side of the patriots. Charles Carroll, the Barrister, as he became known, was born March 22, 1724, in the house which now stands on the St. John's campus. In 1955 the house was moved to campus via up Main Street, around Church Circle, and down College Avenue to King George Street. Historic Annapolis had raised $20,000 to save the house from demolition and to finance the move. Crews had trouble breaking up the oyster shell mortar used in the foundation, so the 6 a.m. start for the move was delayed. Split at the T, the house was moved on rollers and hauled to the campus in two sections.
The Carroll-Barrister House contains the offices of Admissions and Advancement.