About St. John's College
Annapolis Campus Tour
Mellon Hall/Francis Scott Key Auditorim (1958)
Designed by the California firm of Neutra and Alexander, this building in the middle campus contains the 600-seat Francis Scott Key Auditorium, Conversation Room, music library, cafe, and music and laboratory classrooms. The building was named for Paul Mellon, a student at St. John's in 1940 and a generous benefactor of the college. President Eisenhower dedicated the complex in 1958. The Mitchell Gallery and an administrative wing was added to Mellon Hall in 1988; the wing houses the offices of the president, dean, assistant dean, registrar, communications, Mitchell Art Gallery and several tutor's offices. A two-year, $13.5 million renovation was completed in 2002.
Click here for more views of Mellon Hall: