Graduate Institute in Liberal Arts
Mathematics and Natural Science Tutorial and Seminar - Spring and Fall
Tutorial Reading List
Monday and Thursday, 5:00 – 6:15 p.m.
The reading assignment for the first tutorial should be completed before the first class meeting.
First assignment: Euclid, Elements Book I, “Definitions, Postulates, Common Notions” only. Other daily assignments will be made by the tutor.
Weeks One through Eight - 16 meetings
Euclid, Elements Book I
Weeks Nine through Sixteen - 16 meetings
Lobachevski, The Theory of Parallels, selections (photocopy in Bookstore or in final appendix of Bonola, Non‑Euclidean Geometry, Dover Publications)
Seminar Reading List
Monday and Thursday, 7:30 – 9:30 p.m.
The reading assignment for the first seminar should be completed before the first class meeting.
1. Lucretius, On the Nature of Things Books I, II, III to line 580
2. On the Nature of Things Books III to end, IV, V (lines 1‑235, 771 to end), VI (lines 1‑95, 1090 to end)
3. Plato, Timaeus to 58c.
Ptolemy, “The System of the World” (photocopy available in bookstore)
4. Aristotle, Physics Book I 184a9-184b14, 189b30-192b7; Book II 192b8-195b30
5. Physics, Book II 195b31-200b11; Book III 200b12-202b29
6. Physics, Book III 202b30-208a25; Book IV 208a28-213a10
7. Physics, Book IV 213a11-224a17
8. Physics, Book VIII 250b11-260a19, 265a13-267b27
9. Ptolemy, Almagest Book I, 1‑8; Book III, 3 (first page only of III, 3, up to and including the figures for the two hypotheses). There are many copies of Ptolemy available in Meem Library, as well as in the bookstore.
10. Galileo, Dialogue on the Two Chief World Systems, “Author’s Dedication,” “To the Reader,” “The First Day,” through page 68 in the Stillman Drake translation
11. Two Chief World Systems, “The First Day” and “The Second Day,” pages 68‑131
12. Two Chief World Systems, “The Second Day,” pages 131‑188
13. Darwin, Origin of Species, First edition; historical sketch, introduction and chapters I‑III (Penguin edition only)
14. Origin of Species, chapters IV, XIV
15. Freud, “Note on a Case of Obsessional Neurosis [the Rat Man]” in Three Case Histories Freud, “A Note on the Unconscious in 16. Psychoanalysis,” “On Narcissism: An Introduction” and “Mourning and Melancholia” in General Psychological Theory