Graduate Institute in Liberal Arts
Politics and Society Tutorial and Seminar Reading List - Fall
Politics and Society Tutorial Reading List - Fall
Monday, Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
First assignment: Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics Bekker pages 1094a1‑1098b8 (noted in margin).
Weeks One through Six - 12 meetings
Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics books I and II, III, IV 1123a34‑1125a35, V 1129a3‑1136a9, VI, VII 1145a15‑1152a35, VIII 1155a3‑1161b11, X chapters 7-8
Week Seven through Eight - 4 meetings
Aquinas, Treatise on Law questions 90‑97
Week Nine through Ten – 4 meetings
Kant, Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals Preface and parts 1 and 2 (part 3 optional)
Week Eleven through Twelve - 4 meetings
Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation, U.S. Constitution (all in appendix of Federalist Papers, paperback Modern Library edition Random House); Federalist Papers, 1, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 23, 37, 39, 47 (first 4 pages), 48, 49, 51, 70 (first 2 pages), 71, 78, 81 (first 4 pages), 84
Week Thirteen (Monday only) – 1 meeting
(Week Thirteen: no Thursday class because of Thanksgiving)
Melville, Billy Budd
Week Fourteen and Week Fifteen (Monday) - 3 meetings
Tocqueville, Democracy in America:
Volume I, Author’s Introduction and chapters III‑V (Vintage edition: pages 3‑16 and 46‑97; Chicago edition: pages 3-15 and 45-93).
Volume I, chapters IX, XIV‑XVI in Vintage (pages 173 and 237‑287); Volume One, Part Two, chapter 1 and chapters 6-8 in Chicago (pages 165 and 220-264).
Volume II, Book II, chapters I‑XI, XIV‑XVII in Vintage (pages 94‑133, 140‑151); Volume Two, Part Two, chapters 1-11, 14-17 in Chicago (pages 479-508, 514-524).
Volume II, Book III, chapters IX‑XII in Vintage (pages 198‑214); Volume Two, Part Three, chapters 9-12 in Chicago (pages 563-576).
(Pagination for editions other than Vintage and Chicago may be different.)
Week Fifteen (Thursday) through Sixteen - 3 meetings
Decisions of the United States Supreme Court: Dred Scott v. Sandford (with Lincoln's Springfield Speech); Plessy v. Ferguson; Brown v. Board of Education. (Photocopy available from the St John's Bookstore--do not use the abridgements in The People Shall Judge.)
Politics and Society Seminar Reading List - Fall
Monday, Thursday 7:30 – 9:30 p.m.
The reading assignment for the first seminar should be completed before the first class meeting.
1. Plato, Republic books I‑II
2. Republic books III‑IV
3. Republic books V‑VI
4. Republic books VII‑VIII
5. Republic books IX‑X
6. Aristotle, Politics Book I
7. Politics, Book III
8. Machiavelli, The Prince
9. Hobbes, Leviathan Author’s Introduction and chapters 1‑9
10. Leviathan chapters 10‑16
11. Leviathan chapters 17-21, chapter 26
12. Locke, Of Civil Government chapters I‑XI (omit paragraphs 64‑86 and 100‑122).
Also called Second Treatise of Government.
13. Rousseau, On the Origins of Inequality Part I
14. On the Origins of Inequality Part II
15. Marx: Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts (1844) First Manuscript (“Wages of Labor” through “Estranged Labor”) (Chapter titles from Early Writings, Rodney Livingstone and Gregor Benton, translators, Penguin Classics edition; chapter titles will be different in other translations.)
16. Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts Third Manuscript through “Money”
(begins with “Private Property and Labor”)